The Fraidy-Cats of Fat

Annie Leibowitz employs the shoulder roll and the things-in-the-distance-appear-smaller trick (and surely some fatphobic editing) to make the luscious Jennifer Hudson fit onto the small-minded cover of that altar of vapidity, Vogue Magazine. I feel bad JHud had to be the personification of the joke, but I can’t help laughing at this. The thought of a table of gay men and dried apricot ladies deciding what a sexy woman is makes me snot myself.

Annie L: Well, I made her do this twisty-contorto pose to coax the collarbones out, and I put her ass in another room, but still…

Photoshop Felix: Faboo! I’ll just trim the waist, shadow the tummy, reshape the arms, and darken a ridge-like band across the tops of those icky tah-tahs, to make them more orb-like and augmented looking. Y’know. The cadaverous-but-fabulous look.

Anna Wintour (deep voice, smoker’s rattle in the lungs): Paint the collarbones on. Now if you’ll excuse me, it appears I’ve snapped my femur again.

Some less offensive photos are here.

No comments: