I’ll buy anything that’s got a line drawing of the creator’s head on it. (Not god’s head, in case you were wondering. The cook’s.) Which is why, when I plunged my hand into the frosty clutter of my neighborhood market’s novelty ice cream case, hoping the aforementioned god would divine it toward a Bananas n’ Cream FrozFruit bar (which the aforementioned god won’t make the aforementioned market keep in stock, thus rendering me about 80% atheist), and I pulled out a Mamita’s (Homemade Style) Tamarind Ice with the lovely mug of, I’m assuming, Mamita represented on the label, I snagged it.

Sorry. I just couldn’t say that without a run-on sentence.

I’d never had tamarind ice, “homemade style” or otherwise, and found the contents of the plump Fla-Vor-Ice type squeeze bag to be the unappealing color of an oversucked cola slurpee. (Everybody with a childhood knows y’gotta alternate the slurping with the spooning, to keep the syrup to ice ratio right.) But with reassuringly few ingredients and an Ozone Park manufacturing address, I confidently snipped, squeezed, and sucked.

Requires surgical precision to get into without getting sticky all over ya, but it was tangy and refreshing. I’ll try another. Recommend you maybe do the same. But whatever you do, don’t smell it first. Just hold your nose and suck.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

But whatever you do, don’t smell it first. Just hold your nose and suck.

If I had a nickel for every time I heard that....

Anonymous said...

Seriously, tamarind is awesome. They have FrozFruit Tamarindo ones at Zaragoza's Deli on 1st Ave.

Miss P-Pie said...

If I had a nickel for every time I heard that....


Girl. You should at least get 'em to pay you a nickel.

**ducks. covers.**

OneEar said...

I see that you are from New York. Do you know Kay?

Miss P-Pie said...

You're not gonna pull that "if you see Kay..." joke on me, are you?

Sorry, OneEar. I'm not sure I know any Kays. I know a couple B's and an H, though.

(S'cuse the questionable use of apostrophe.)

Ms. Pleasure Pie