Nature's Apostrophe

Fiddleheads, fiddleheads
Roly poly fiddleheads
Fiddleheads, fiddleheads
Eat them up, yum


(Just Googled for the songwriter responsible for “Fish Heads,” and landed on an Ebay ad. “Fish Heads for less!” Now I’m gonna try Googling ‘crotch rot.’)

Fiddleheads are the furled tips of the Fiddlehead Fern, so named for its resemblance to the curved peghead of a violin. I think they’re mostly found in the Northeast. Or only in states beginning with the letter M, or some such. Foodies go all foamy trying to find them during their brief season in the Spring. But oh, if you can find ‘em. Blanch ‘em and sauté them in olive oil with garlic, and they’re… way overrated. Similar-to-but-not-as-good-as asparagus, though with a more pleasing texture. The packed leafy bit is moist and mushy, the curly stem is crunchy when not overcooked. And they’re great source of dietary fiber and roughage. With fronds like these, who needs enemas?

PLEASURE PIE DISCLAIMOR: I didn’t really care for the fiddleheads. But I felt I had to blog about them, as I went to a great deal of difficulty acquiring them. And they’re awfully pretty. Plus, I was kinda proud of my enema joke. But really, I’ve just wasted your time. Sorry. To make up for it, I won’t bother you with details of the omelet I made yesterday. With sautéed baby bello mushrooms and an exquisitely rich herbed goat cheese. An omelet so good, it’s the reason god made Teflon. But that’s enough about that.

4 comments:

Bill said...

Wasn't "Fish Heads" the work of Barnes & Barnes (a.k.a. Billy Mumy and Some Other Guy)?

Miss P-Pie said...

TV's young Will Robinson responsible for "Fish Heads?" Danger, indeed.

Thanks for the heads up, Bill. I now see my red-headed childhood crush went on to create such works of art as, "Work the Meat," "Swallow My Love," and "Boogie Woogie Amputee."

Never let it be said I don't have good taste in men.

Anonymous said...

I love how you capitalized 'Teflon' but not 'god.'

Miss P-Pie said...

It’s a title vs. proper name thang, Slick. Not a barometer of my respect for either. Ask any agnostic English teacher.

~ Miss Pleasure Pie